[WLANware] Idea for GSoC project

Kirill kirill.gsoc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:42:45 CET 2016

Hello!

I have an idea for GSoC project. It seems Freifunk is suitable place for my
idea.
I can work on detailed proposal but I am not sure if you will be interested
in it.
Let me briefly describe it and see if there is interest and I should work
on it.

The project is about "tinyproxy" which is great small lightweight proxy
available
in openwrt. It's fast but not really have a lot of features (like squid for
instance),
neither it have easy way to customize it (just by hacking it's source code;
while
its sources are great, that's not really good or simple way). I suggest
embedding
Lua scripting engine into it. It will lead to a lot of useful applications:
whatever
you can imagine e.g. rewriting headers/content in any way, distributing
traffic
between pool of upstream proxy servers, custom reverse proxying. Also we're
going to maintain small memory footprint, high speed and scalability. One of
examples of somewhat similiar piece of software is succesful MySQL proxy
project:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-proxy/en/mysql-proxy-scripting.html

Please reply if there's interest (or no) in such project, so I should start
working on
my proposal or abandon it.

Thank you in advance.