[WLANware] Community Wireless Networks

Steini freifunk at total-connection.net
Wed Mar 28 20:29:33 CEST 2012

Hi Naman,

i'm still a novice in freifunk, but i'll try to answer as accurate as
possible.

Am 28.03.2012 16:36, schrieb Naman Muley:
> Hi,
>
> I am Naman Muley, a final year undergraduate student at DAIICT, India.
>
> I am attempting to create a community wireless mesh network inside my
> institute campus. I wanted some help from freifunk community. I would
> be very grateful if some one could answer my following queries and
> also how does the freifunk mesh network exist?

great thing, go on and don't give up!
> I am using OLSR as the routing protocol. 7
>
> 1. *IP Address allocation: *

At my freifunk community we list up all our freifunk nodes, in one ip
range, let's say 10.27.*.*
So everybody who set's up a node, adds the nodes' adress to the list and
olsrd is doing all the routing stuff, if configured properly. Every node
is running a dhcp server itself for its connected clients. With NAT on
every node you won't run into trouble with double assigend ip adresses.
> 2. *DHCP and Windows: *
uhh there can be so many problems. do you see some dhcp traffic with
wireshark or etherreal on both ends (client and freifunk node)? Is the
wireless connection established? Maybe it's a good idea to try it out
with a properly configured accesspoint you alredy own or to work around
all adhoc problems (some chipsets fail with this) do some setup for an
node running in infrastructure mode.

> Thank you so much for your patience.
>
> Yours Networkingly,
> Naman