[WLANware] Community Wireless Networks

Naman Muley naman.g.muley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 16:36:26 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am Naman Muley, a final year undergraduate student at DAIICT, India.

I am attempting to create a community wireless mesh network inside my
institute campus. I wanted some help from freifunk community. I would be
very grateful if some one could answer my following queries and also how
does the freifunk mesh network exist?

I am using OLSR as the routing protocol. 7

1. *IP Address allocation: *Say I started an adhoc network. Others joined
and they received IP by DHCP from me. Now, if I turn off, how will the new
comers get  IP addresses?
    > During the time I was still in the network, no other node could have
acted as the DHCP server as that would have created IP conflict.
    > Only option I see is, someone takes up the DHCP leadership after me.
Say, the network chooses a leader.

    > My question is, I read quite a few papers but they don't seem to have
implementations in linux drivers or any other operating systems for that
matter

2. *DHCP and Windows: *One of my friends was running windows and he does
not seem to be able to obtain IP address. The network is visible to him but
the prompt only shows "identifying..". On further plumbing we saw that it
was an IP address problem.

How did you guys manage this? How does the freifunk network work under one
network? and how are the IP addresses allocated?
I might be missing a fundamental thing here. Please pardon my noobness ;)

Thank you so much for your patience.

Yours Networkingly,
Naman