[WLANware] Interest in gsoc projects

Brendan Morrison morrison.brendan17 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 22:30:03 CET 2012

Hi all so this is the email way I have been given to contact freifunk for
participation in gsoc for this summer

So to the community and specifically gsoc mentors alike.
I have come across freifunk and done a little reaserch to what and how
batman debian and adv alike work.

(for community skip down a few paragraphs to questions)

batman-adv is very cool and bravo to those who took part in
design+development that said the link layer is not where I personally have
the most knwoledge about. So my prime interest is in the batman debian.

basically from the gsoc ideas page I have a couple of question im looking
for feedback on.. under the batman debian (pretty sure as layer 3 problems)
 there are specific tasks that the organization would like to see done and
although i was planning to propose my own project, some ideas are cool and
probably more inline with what organization needs.

Anyways  this are tasks which most interest myself  the most

first of  are all tasks for one student? as if so might be a bit much for
myself as each seems pretty in depth, but i think would checking of a few
would be more then managable in 480+ hourse of work

QuestionsOGM/NDP Hidden Node Problem Avoidance,  OGM/NDP Congestion
Avoidance
for these 2 problems its seems like the simplest solution would be to
implement something similar to tcp congestion control,  and tcp timeout
type mechanisms for all packets which are not normally connection oriented.
Is this what you're looking for or am i missing something completely?

  this seams interesting  but not really sure what it implies
B.A.T.M.A.N. Routing Framework

*Brief description:* Separate B.A.T.M.A.N. routing algorithm from routing
infrastructure in batman-adv.

... first question without ip address at each node how is tcp connections
hanndled from end point in mesh? using sk_buff in layer 2 modules which
pre-rout tcp/ip stack?  or again did i misuderstand something?
Improve Broadcast Data Performance

*Brief description:* Optimize the flooding of broadcast data to reduce
overhead and increase its packet delivery ratio.

need some more research into whats wrong with implementing same as how udp
and other work in batman (terms of forwarding) but seems like their is a
multitude of ways to solve this problem and ensure each node gets packets

also for mentors :

have some experience writing network linux kernel modules and looking for
more as i have enjoyed the experience so far

sorry for the greenness

-brendan morrison