[WLANware] Community Wireless Networks

Naman Muley naman.g.muley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:14:24 CEST 2012

Hi Steini,

Thanks for taking out time to reply! Appreciate it!

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Steini <freifunk at total-connection.net>wrote:

>  Hi Naman,
>
> i'm still a novice in freifunk, but i'll try to answer as accurate as
> possible.
>
> Am 28.03.2012 16:36, schrieb Naman Muley:
>
> Hi,
>
>  I am Naman Muley, a final year undergraduate student at DAIICT, India.
>
>  I am attempting to create a community wireless mesh network inside my
> institute campus. I wanted some help from freifunk community. I would be
> very grateful if some one could answer my following queries and also how
> does the freifunk mesh network exist?
>
>  great thing, go on and don't give up!
>
>  I am using OLSR as the routing protocol. 7
>
>  1. *IP Address allocation: *
>
>  At my freifunk community we list up all our freifunk nodes, in one ip
> range, let's say 10.27.*.*
> So everybody who set's up a node, adds the nodes' adress to the list and
> olsrd is doing all the routing stuff, if configured properly. Every node is
> running a dhcp server itself for its connected clients. With NAT on every
> node you won't run into trouble with double assigend ip adresses.

Ahh! Okay. There is one crucial thing I forgot to tell you. We are students
trying to set this whole thing up. So due to lack of funds, we have not
been able to buy routers OR wireless extenders. So, currently DAiict Mesh
Network (DAMN) is a purely adhoc network. Once, we have enough proof of
concept that this is a good idea, we shall be able to demand funds from the
Institute. i'm thinking of buying a mix of Wireless Extenders and Routers.

Hmm.. You have a hierarchy in place. Communities, individual NATs.  We have
aroung 1500 people on the campus in a 50 acre land. You think one network
is a good idea? Will it be stable? OR I could create pockets of networks
just like you have with NATs.

 2. *DHCP and Windows:*

> uhh there can be so many problems. do you see some dhcp traffic with
> wireshark or etherreal on both ends (client and freifunk node)? Is the
> wireless connection established? Maybe it's a good idea to try it out with
> a properly configured accesspoint you alredy own or to work around all
> adhoc problems (some chipsets fail with this) do some setup for an node
> running in infrastructure mode.

yeah, we're yet to debug this thing properly. We're looking at IP
allocation schemes currently.

Thank you so much for showing interest!

>  Thank you so much for your patience.
>
>  Yours Networkingly,