[WLANware] SNMP plugin for OSLR - GSoC 2011

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 29 20:15:20 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Not really. On Windows there is no real support for raw sockets so
> winpcap approach is the only one doable:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740548%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#limitati
> ons_on_raw_sockets

if libpcap can do it, so can we. Having the user install libpcap just for this
seems a bit overkill.

> OK. So I would suggest that for this GSoC we do more work on this
> flasher. So to make it really cross-platform, test it on different
> platforms, see how GUI behaves, console/terminal (power-user?)
> interface too, add more routers and so on. So then me as a mentor
> would get more used to the code and also I would have help from a
> student to do all that. ;-)

I am all for it. ap51-flash-ng already provides a commandline interface
(commandline.c) which can be replaced with a GUI variant.

> Because at the end I would like to integrate it into the OpenWrt build
> system so that you could generate executable/flashable images out of
> it. And then integrate this into our web-based image generator we have
> in our nodewatcher (node database system).

ap51-flash already is integrated into OpenWRT - at WBMv3 we flashed all the 50+
foneras with a bunch of DLink-300 devices all running ap51-flash. All we had to
do was to plug/unplug the foneras and watch them getting flashed.  :-)
The experience we gathered there heavily influenced the ap51-flash-ng design.
Therefore I strongly suggest to re-use ap51-flash if you want to avoid running
through the same problems again.
Here is the list of currently supported devices (most likely incomplete):
http://dev.open-mesh.com/wiki/ap51-supported-devices

Regards,
Marek