[WLANware] SNMP plugin for OSLR - GSoC 2011

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 22:40:55 CEST 2011

Hi!

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Marek Lindner <lindner_marek at yahoo.de> wrote:
> if libpcap can do it, so can we. Having the user install libpcap just for this
> seems a bit overkill.

libpcap installs special virtual driver into networking stack to be
able to do that. If you want to develop this and support it, go ahead.
I do not have enough free time to re-implement (and support!) things.
So I tend to use existing well tested things which stable and done
good enough.

I would do it like that when user for the first time runs our flasher
it check for libpcap and if it missing help him install it, reboot the
computer (yes, Windows) and then it will work for any later run of our
flasher. It will still keep our flasher small in size (which is
probably the main reason why would be using generic libraries be a
problem, just because they are generic and can also do more - this is
not good enough reason to not use them).

But having GSoC allows us to invest some time into doing some things
properly. Like modular structure of flashing tool, multiple platforms,
testing, GUIs and so on.

> I am all for it. ap51-flash-ng already provides a commandline interface
> (commandline.c) which can be replaced with a GUI variant.

I would add to it, not replace.

> The experience we gathered there heavily influenced the ap51-flash-ng design.
> Therefore I strongly suggest to re-use ap51-flash if you want to avoid running
> through the same problems again.

Can you be a bit more specific about those problems?

Mitar