[WLANware] GSoC 2010: Project IP/UDP encapsulation Kernel module

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Wed Apr 7 19:47:58 CEST 2010

On Thursday 08 April 2010 00:16:36 marco bonola wrote:
> thanks for the link. I took a look at te code and I have to say that what
> I'm proposing is different. Even though the BATMAN module does realize IP/UDP
> encapsulation by "exporting" a device to userspace, its approach is different
> for many reasons. Just to say one thing, the BATMAN module makes use of a
> character device and not a netdevice. This changes many things, which I
> don't think is not useful to discuss in this mail.

I think you misunderstood my mail. I wanted to make clear that:
a) this kernel module is an IP/UDP tunnel implementation (which is what was
asked for)
b) its configuration interface is not as generic as some people want it to be
(hence, it needs to be modified)

The character device was simply used to communicate with the kernel module via
ioctl commands. If you prefer something else you will have to modify the code.

A couple of years ago batman introduced gateway UDP tunneling, therefore we
also experimented with IP/UDP tunnels in kernel space. Since we noticed this
approach is not as promising as we initially thought we abandoned it.

Cheers,
Marek