[WLANware] GSoC 2010: Project IP/UDP encapsulation Kernel module

marco bonola marco.bonola at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 18:16:36 CEST 2010

Hi Marek,

thanks for the link. I took a look at te code and I have to say that what
I'm proposing
is different. Even though the BATMAN module does realize IP/UDP
encapsulation by
"exporting" a device to userspace, its approach is different for many
reasons. Just to say
one thing, the BATMAN module makes use of a character device and not a
netdevice. This
changes many things, which I don't think is not useful to discuss in this
mail.

So, if you are saying that we can use the BATMAN kernel module and adapt it
to be
used by the smart-gw (as Saverio was proposing), I agree. Anyway, if we do
so,
we get back to the original point that motived this work, i.e.: we don't
have a "generic"
IPinUDP encapsulation (kernel) module that is independent from a particular
application and from
the IPsec stack.

If, instead, you say that the BATMAN module can be generalized to obtain the
same thing
I am proposing, I don't agree and we can further discuss about that.

Again, I just want to underline that what I am proposing is independent from
OLSR, BATMAN
and any other particular application, and that it can be used in different
contexts.

Ciao
Marco