[WLANware] GSoC 2010: Project IP/UDP encapsulation Kernel module

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Wed Apr 7 13:08:08 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 07 April 2010 05:28:05 ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) wrote:
> The Project "IP/UDP encapsulation Kernel module" is an indipendent
> project from OLSR.
>
> The kernel today makes possible to create IP-in-IP of IP-in-GRE
> tunnels using the "ip" tool. But if you want IP/UDP is not possible to
> configure the kernel to have such a tunnel. You need some VPN
> software, like tinc or OpenVPN, maybe you have to use encription even
> if not needed.
>
> Now, if we write this IP/UDP encapsulation module, generic for the
> Kernel, this can be used on any network with any routing protocol. I
> guess also the smart-gw feature can use that module instead of the
> ip-ip.

I suggest having a look into the batman layer 3 sources. There you can find a
kernel module which does exactly what you want:
http://www.open-mesh.org/browser/trunk/batman/linux/modules
Although the setup API is a bit batman specifc (the batman daemon controlled
the module) you could easily strip the batman API and replace it with
something more generic.

Cheers,
Marek