[WLANware] GSoC 2010: Project IP/UDP encapsulation Kernel module

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 10:38:58 CEST 2010

Hello Gustavo,

I just read this email from you:

http://freifunk.net/pipermail/wlanware/2010-March/002217.html

for some reason I missed your email in the list before, sorry.

I would be mentor for this idea. If you want more detail you should
ask Marco Bonola <marco.bonola at gmail.com>.

He is the Freifunk Student that proposed this idea originally, so he
knows all about it.

In short, we want to be able to set up UDP/IP tunnels with the "ip"
userspace tool, as we do now for IPinIP or GRE tunnels. So you don't
need a userspace application that exports a tun/tap device.

This kernel module has a lot of use cases, think of overlay networks,
or source routing setups.

Remember you have until Aprile the 9th to finish your student application ! :)

Regards

Saverio