[WLANware] Antennen, setting up ap's, nodes

Daniel Nitzpon nitzpon at gmx.net
Wed Mar 26 00:17:47 CET 2008

dondavis at reglue.org schrieb:

> I was thinking of running long lengths of lmr400.  Doh! I've ordered some
> and I'll be using it, but it will be a lot cheaper to put the nodes/ap's
> outside. Is it better to have the nodes/ ap's outside and then run cat5
> into the house?

yes, definitely! cat5 doesn't mind being bent or squeezed very much in
contrary to the hf cables. and even the best hf cable will give you
notable loss in signal strenght.
you just have to watch out for corrosion on the antenna plugs and for
overheating due to sunlight if you put the node outside.

> The biquad looks good but I need to get my hands on satellite dishes.
> http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html

biquads and quadquads are also very useful without the satellite dish.

> What's is a good set up for lightning protection and grounding?  What do I
> need to pay attention to?
>
> How necessary are lightning arrestors?
> What is necessary/recommended in terms of grounding?
>
> Do I need to worry about grounding for the cat 5 coming from the roof to
> computer?

i found it hard to get useful answers to these questions. one thing is
for sure: if you place the node some meters below the roof and not too
far away from the wall, you don't need to worry.
anything else is guesswork and a matter of trust and believe.

> Ist diese Liste eigentlich auf Englisch oder auf Deutsch?  Was ist
> bevorzuegt?

ich glaube, es ist ziemlich egal (so wie's dem thread-starter besser
gefällt).