[WLANware] Associating with olsr-dhcp from linux

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Thu Mar 20 07:55:56 CET 2008

> You mix ap and essid here?

I did mix the terms ESSID and BSSID/IBSSID, sorry. The BSSID (*B*asic
*S*ervice *S*et *ID*entifier or Cell-ID) is idential with the MAC
address of the Accesspoint (*I*ndependent  *B*asic *S*ervice *S*et
*ID*entifier) in an infrastructure network, for Ad-Hoc the equivalent
IBSSID (*I*ndependent  *B*asic *S*ervice *S*et *ID*entifier) has to be
negotiated amongst the ad-hoc stations, which is a error prone process
that fails frequently. The result is cell-splitting.

iwconfig names it simply Cell-ID, regardless whether it is ad-hoc or
not, which may be less confusing...

Some wireless drivers allow you to fix the IBSSID for Ad-Hoc with the
command

iwconfig <interface> ap 00:01:02:03:04:05

which is non-standard but can help you to fix cell-split issues.

Usually this command is used to bind a infrastructure station to a
certain AP.

You can fix the IBSSID also with Freifunk Firmware in the Wireless
settings menu, using the BSSID field.

cu elektra