[WLANware] Associating with olsr-dhcp from linux

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Thu Mar 20 07:20:27 CET 2008

Hi

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 07:15:03PM +0100, elektra wrote:
> fix the Essid to bypass issues introduced by miserable drivers which
> fail to associate and create Essid cell splits instead. Even though I'd
> recommend it (note that USB is not supported, but works for me with
> ndiswrapper).
> iwconfig ath0 ap 02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE
> is the command to fix the essid to 02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE

You mix ap and essid here?

man iwconfig (I don't profess to get all of this about cells though; can
one roam a freifunk network?):

       essid  Set the ESSID (or Network Name - in some products it may also be
              called Domain ID). The ESSID is used to identify cells which are
              part of the same virtual network.
              As opposed to the AP Address or NWID which define a single cell,
              the  ESSID  defines  a group of cells connected via repeaters or
              infrastructure, where the user may roam transparently.
              With some cards, you  may  disable  the  ESSID  checking  (ESSID
              promiscuous) with off or any (and on to reenable it).
              If  the  ESSID  of  your  network is one of the special keywords
              (off, on or any), you should use -- to escape it.
              Examples :
                   iwconfig eth0 essid any
                   iwconfig eth0 essid "My Network"
                   iwconfig eth0 essid -- "ANY"

       ap     Force  the  card  to  register  to the Access Point given by the
              address, if it is possible. This address is the cell identity of
              the Access Point, as reported by wireless scanning, which may be
              different from its network MAC address. If the wireless link  is
              point to point, set the address of the other end of the link. If
              the link is ad-hoc, set the cell identity of the ad-hoc network.
              When  the quality of the connection goes too low, the driver may
              revert back to automatic mode (the card selects the best  Access
              Point in range).
              You  may also use off to re-enable automatic mode without chang‐
              ing the current Access Point, or you may  use  any  or  auto  to
              force  the  card  to  reassociate with the currently best Access
              Point.
              Example :
                   iwconfig eth0 ap 00:60:1D:01:23:45
                   iwconfig eth0 ap any
                   iwconfig eth0 ap off

+ essid is the SSID or network name, right.

My SSID of the mesh, and so the clients' essid, is "muizenmaze"

+ bssid is set in freifunk (not the client laptop) and is not necessarily
a MAC address, but not related to essid? As long as it is the same on
all freifunk nodes.

My meshes' bssid is set to the MAC of the first gw (no longer a gateway,
but this doesn't matter, new nodes do not associate if I don't set this):
"ff_bssid=00:16:b6:d9:23:07"

+ ap -- should this be set to the essid, the bssid, or the closest AP's MAC?
As I read above, it should be the essid, or "muizenmaze"?

regards,
Jan
--
   .~.