[WLANware] GSoC 2017 - student introduction

Clemens John clemens.john at floh1111.de
Wed Mar 1 13:34:07 CET 2017

Hi Marcin,

welcome to the WLANware Mailinglist. In this email you will find everything you
need to know about the application process and plans for the project you
mentioned.

On monday Freifunk has been accepted as mentoring organization so please
bookmark March 20th in your calendar. That is the date when student
application period opens and I would really appreciate your application!

This year we offer much more projects than in the past but as always we dont
know how many stipends we will get from google. So application is kind of a
lottery and if you need to work on holiday, please consider a plan B as
fallback.

If application goes well, the project will work out for shure. The coding part
of the project is not too hard in my opinion. You already mentioned Laravel
and Debian so you will feel at home in our environment and you will have
enough time to design and test architecture and finish GSoC succesfully with
code we can use in production.

In short about me: I'm 27 and still a student in computer science too at
University Osnabrück. I'm with Freifunk since 2009 and work as a software
engineer and "dad for everything that has to do with computers" 2 days a week
in a small local business for funding my studying.

In your application please tell us in short the usual skill-stuff but more
important something about yourself: why do you think anonymity is important?
Have you ever been into a hackerspace? Do you have any special interests or
any favorite meal? What do you want to do in 5 years from now and what does
matter for you in life?

To give you a short prospect of what is planned to get you into the project
after successfull application:

Community Bonding (May)
+++
We will participate in the Wireless Community Weekend in Berlin (26th to the
28th of May). There we will meet people from the Freifunk Nordwest Community
(https://ffnw.de), which is my home community, and people from many other
communities as well. You will get to know everything about free wireless
communities and we can finish the plans for architecture and software stack for
your project so that you can start without any trouble when coding phase
begins.

We have a budget for traveling and accomodation so dont worry about this. This
will be the first time I participate in WCW too so WCW will be new for both of
us. But I have already traveled to berlin in the past so if you have never
visited Berlin we will have time for visiting the city.

After community bonding we will have 3 coding phases. In the past students had
to write a blog post about their progress on our freifunk blog at the end of
each coding phase. Then students and mentors fill out their evaluation. I'm
quite shure this year will be the same.

Coding phase 1 (June)
+++
This phase is for implementing the backend (Laravel) and setting up some graph
storage or graph server.

Codig Phase 2 (July)
+++
This phase is for performance testing of the backend and displaying graphics
in the web client (Angular 2).

Note: I will have my last (and hardest -.-) exams in July so all the big
questions should be solved in community bonding and coding phase 1 so that you
can work and come up with your own ideas in phase 2. At the end of phase 2 the
project should be near to production ready.

Codig Phase 3 (August)
+++
The last phase is kind of backup. If performance testing showed up some big
trouble and we had to start over then phase 3 is our buffer for getting the
work into production and finish GSoC successfully.  But if everything works as
expected then it is up to you to take a look at whatever feature or technology
interests you.

Note: In August I will travel through eastern europe for vacation but I will
take mobile internet with me so I'm available if input is needed.

I hope this information was helpful to you. If you have any further questions
previous to application please dont hesitate to ask :)

Best wishes
Clemens