[WLANware] New Text for Splash in luci-splash - native english speaker wanted

Manuel Munz manu at somakoma.de
Sat Jul 27 10:13:45 CEST 2013

On 26.07.2013 11:20, brent wrote:
> On 07/26/2013 04:49 AM, Manuel Munz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'd like to update the text which is shown by default in the luci splash
>> page with new usage policies to make it more correct in legal ways
>> (hopefully).
>>
>> I would be very glad if some native english speaker could help me with
>> translating the following text (which was taken from
>> http://wiki.freifunk.net/Nutzungsbedingungen_f%C3%BCr_Freifunk_Aachen)
>
> actually, sorry- i made some last-minute changes to the wording here and
> there and noticed a duplicate "the".
>
> revision is at http://pastebin.com/LfZijAjK

Thanks Brent,

this sounds good to me. I only have concerns about the translation of
the "fair use" section. You translated it as:

The participant agrees to not make claims of ownership of the
infrastructure, the ###community### network itself, its operator(s), or
any other affected party

In German it was:

Der Teilnehmer verpflichtet sich, das Netzwerk nicht in einer Weise zu
beanspruchen, welche die Infrastruktur, das ###community### Netzwerk
selbst, dessen Betreiber oder andere Teilnehmer beeinträchtigt.

I'm not sure if the english translation says the same as the german
text. Imo it should be more something like:

The participant agrees to not use the network in any ways which will
harm the infrastructure, the ###community### network itself, its
operators or other participants.

So it is about "don't do things" which will make the network slow or
unusable for others or which will impact the network in a negative way.

Could you please correct my try of a translation or rewrite yours (if
needed, maybe thats exactly what your translation says, then everything
would be fine.)

Thanks,

soma

Dateiname   : signature.asc