[WLANware] Device enabling Multiple clients to connect to Multiple Infrastructure Networks - Progress and Introduction

Naman Muley naman.g.muley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 23:22:39 CEST 2011

Hi,
       In the last mail, I forgot to give my own introduction.I am a
pre-final year student at DA-IICT, Gandhinagar, India. I am an ICT
(Information Communication Technology) student. My area of interests is
Networks. I have worked in the past and am currently working with sockets,
both in C and in Java. I have good knowledge on TCP/IP. Currently I am
working on multiple projects out of which one is a research problem: "A Case
for Inclusion of Nodes in the Routing and Forwarding For Decreasing
Congestion and Better Recovery Against the Same". Also, I am working in a
team on building a virtual classroom like application in Java which uses
Multicast. I have experience working on NS2 also.

       I got introduced to Freifunk while searching for networking
organisations in GSoC. I like the idea Freimap stands for. I think it shall
become an important service in the near future. I have been intrduced to
wireless ad-hoc networks. One idea that I am working on analyzing usage
pattterns in wireless LANs. By defining different parameters like Moible
Node (MN) 'encounters', the aim is to check the feasibility , in different
use cases, of being able to establish a wireless network independent of any
infrastructure. The goal is to develop parameters that will help measure the
feasibility and simulate the phenomenon. Very relevant to the this idea, I
found Freimap interesting.

      I want to work on either of the following ideas due to the above
reasons:

          1. Multiple Clients using one device to connect to multiple
infrastructure networks : I have had a bit trouble grasping what is asked
for, from the way it is presented on the wiki page for ideas
http://wiki.freifunk.net/Ideas#multiple_clients_using_one_device_to_connect_multiple_infrastructure_networks
        What i can think of is the need for a device which can discover
different networks and facilitate tunnel like connections between different
networks. The term 'multiple infrastructure networks' is taken to mean more
than one networks having different infrastructures. If somebody could please
help me with what Freifunk has in mind, I should be able to give a proper
proposal for the same.

          2. Service Control Module for Freimap: Extending control features
in Freimap is also a something I would like to work on. A service control
module will help efficient and customizae the network as per the clients
needs.

       One more question I had, how do I install Freimap? The old freimap is
not advised, but how should I obtain the new freimap? Also, I am a bit
confused as to how am I going to test my codes and understandings whether
they are correct or not?

        It would be great help if anyone could clarify.

         Thanking you and awaiting your reply in anticipation,

Naman