[WLANware] Project ideas

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Sat Jan 15 17:54:11 CET 2011

Hello Bharat -

the aims of mesh protocol design at Freifunk or wireless community networks in
general are quite different from those for WSNs. All mesh protocols that we
(speaking of community networkers) are involved in testing and developing are
proactive.

Commonly the priority of sensor networks is saving power and computational
effort. Hence all protocols used in this environment are reactive. Sensor
applications usually trade routing optimization and routing performance for
power consumption and computation effort. The amount of data in sensor networks
is minimal, and routes are only established on demand. This seems to be a
sensible decision.

Maybe there are applications for proactive protocols in sensor networks. Can
you think of any? I suppose a simplified implementation of B.A.T.M.A.N. could
be feasible even for sensors if the priority is on instant availability of
routes, routing performance and computational effort and memory requirement.
However, power consumption will be much higher. The batteries will be drained
within days, not months.

Btw: You might be interested in the "Battle of the Mesh"
http://battlemesh.org/ - a competiton between open source mesh protocols and
developers. We'd like to see more protocol developers joining the competition.
The next "battle" will take place in Spain in March 2011.

Cheers,
Elektra