[WLANware] Project Ideas

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 07:30:56 CET 2011

Hi!

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM, bharat naik <bharat.2511 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was asking if anyone was considering tweaking existing mesh
> protocols to suit WSNs i.e has freifunk come across a problem space where it
> required. them to use WSN-centric protocols.

In Ljubljana we were thinking about that. Of using our WiFi mesh as a
backbone for ZigBee/XBee based sensor network. So small ZigBee/XBee
devices which build mesh among themselves and then you use WiFi nodes
(with both ZigBee/Xbee and WiFi modules) as collecting nodes for data
from the sensor networks. As WiFi nodes have much more processing
power they can then preprocess this and send it over normal IP network
to the server where you are storing all this data.

> I had read about freifunk being involved in developing a
> low power counterpart of OLSR, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, could someone
> provide me more details of the OLPC project using freifunk for its mesh
> deployments.

Still, those are quite different classes of "low power consumption".
Sensor networks are a really extreme and specialized case. Because
mostly you do not need full IP connectivity, just flooding data from
them to the node where you collect data.

Mitar