[WLANware] SoC Applicant

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 22:22:46 CEST 2010

Hi!

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Charles Boyd <csboyd07 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would Scratchbox (http://www.scratchbox.org/) be a good tool to use while
> writing code for the N900 port?

I am not accustomed with it. Is it a full-blown emulator? So you will
be able to run OLSR in it? You do not have N900? Definitely is good to
test it on hardware. But I think it is also possible to get some
sponsored N900.

Which Android phone do you have? Maybe you could do only Android GUI
and somebody else would do N900 GUI and you would cooperate. (Problem
is that Android programming is quite different to N900 so there will
be not much change of code reuse. But it would be great to have same
GUI design/structure/functionality.

> Where can I find out more about the work that has been done on porting OLSRd
> to Android? I am interested in learning more about this.

I have run it under Debian chroot on the Android phone. Sven-Ola
ported it natively (check the mailing list). So it works. But it would
be great to pack it in a stand-alone package (for rooted phones) which
will have to enable ad-hoc mode (for different Android WiFi hardware),
set IP and other network configuration and make an interface to OLSR.
Many of this things will have to be workaround/hacks into the Android
system around officially supported things so quite some research will
be necessary to find the most benign (and future-proof) way of doing
it. Ah, yes, and there are different versions of Android. So this is
also something to play with. ;-)

Mitar