[WLANware] SoC Applicant

Charles Boyd csboyd07 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 19:46:48 CEST 2010

I made a proposal for taking care of the OLSR port to Nokia N900 as part of
contributing to the shared UI codebase between the N900 and OLSRd Android
GUI project. Basically, I would like to work on the UI code and take care of
the relatively simple task of specifically getting it to run on the OLSR
port N900 (just recompiled from a linux package and configured for the
device), while contributing to and observing the more complex task of
porting OLSRd to the family of devices on the Android platform.

By taking on the first task, I would have to (1) compile OLSRd to run on an
emulated N900 from a linux package, (2) write code that would graphically
display and manipulate ad-hoc network data and behavior accessible through
OLSRd, (3) concentrating specifically on making the GUI work well and look
nice on the N900 by adhering to the UI specifications for that particular
device.

I would be able to contribute to the more advanced project by (1) working on
the same basic GUI codebase as the Android team, (2) submitting bug reports
and writing patches for the port to Android by testing it out on an Android
device I have, (3) learning how to apply what I learn through everything
mentioned above (writing GUI code specifically for the fairly simple N900,
helping out with the GUI code for the Android platform by testing and
debugging) to continue developing for this project. Porting some basic UI
tools  built on top of the services provided by a powerful and stable ad-hoc
network protocol like OLSRd would be a really good introduction to further
work on enabling ad-hoc networking (perhaps with other protocols, like
B.A.T.M.A.N. or babel) to open mobile and wireless devices.

I'm also interested in checking out the Freifunk firmware (which seems
pretty cool) on a WRT I have around somewhere. I've been using OpenWRT for a
while, and I've learned a thing or two about its internals - and it would be
cool to look at this in more detail. Ideally, this project would be a
gateway to further work with Freifunk and open ad-hoc networking.

Overall, I am excited about finding this project and I think I have a lot to
offer it. Everything above is discussed in more detail in my application.

I have just a couple of questions:

Would Scratchbox (http://www.scratchbox.org/) be a good tool to use while
writing code for the N900 port?

Where can I find out more about the work that has been done on porting OLSRd
to Android? I am interested in learning more about this.

Thanks for considering me. :)

-charles