[WLANware] Willingness to participate in Google Summer of Code Project

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 09:56:12 CEST 2010

>                       I am Jayapriya Surendran studying third year computer
> science and engineering in Madras Institute of Technology,Anna
> University,Chennai,India.I came to know about Google Summer of Code from one
> of my college seniors and i checked out freifunk's ideas
> page.Networking(especially wireless networks)is my area of interest.And I am
> very much interested to do Multi-tree OBAMP implementation in OLSR.

Hello,

I am the mentor for this idea.

Last year I wrote (as a GSoC student) a OLSR plugin to create a OBAMP
tree among OLSR nodes to deliver multicast data.

My implementation can be still optimized.

First of all you should get familiar with the OBAMP protocol.
Read the documentation attached to the OLSR plugin
http://olsr.org/git/?p=olsrd.git;a=blob_plain;f=lib/obamp/README;hb=master

and read also the references at the end.

right now the plugin creates 1 OBAMP tree where all the multicast data
is forwarded regardless if there are listeners. To optimize bandwith
consumption a OBAMP tree should be created for each multimedia stream,
and only among those nodes that are interested in that stream.
To achieve this goal nodes must capture IGMP packets generated by
multicast applications and generate proper signalling.

I hope now you have a more clear idea of the work to be done. Please
read the documentation I pointed to you and then if you want ask more
questions. Remember you have time until April the 6th to propose a
student application.

Regards

Saverio Proto