[WLANware] Antenna diversity + wave guide antennas; books; performance data

dondavis at reglue.org dondavis at reglue.org
Fri May 30 13:25:37 CEST 2008

> hi davis!
>
> i would really try to get rid of the omni and replace it by several
> directional antennae. that doesn't have to be too costly, you can easily
> build cantennas and biquads yourself. and if you're good at soldering
> ics, you can buy siemens se505 instead of wrts and upgrade their ram to
> 16mb.

Well, the wrts have already been bought but I have a couple from tmobile
with 32mb ram and heat sinks.  Well, I already have a ton of cantennas and
I was interested in building biquads.

So you suggest 4 outside routers at the gateway location each pointed in a
different direction?

> dependig on how you choose your locations and how much other wifi is in
> the air there, you can also achieve quite a lot with the standard
> antennae. only thing that is important is to get the nodes outside of
> buildings (and watch for proper rain and sun protection).

There is almost no other wifi activity in the air.  We're building
birdhouses to protect the routers with computer fans on the bottom that
will be solar powered to cool in the heat.