[WLANware] Ad-Hoc-Mode problems (was: Re: Associating with olsr-dhcp from linux)

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmx.ch
Sun Mar 23 10:34:47 CET 2008

Bastian Bittorf wrote:
> The ad-hoc-mode works not correct on 95% of all devices (e.g. laptops).

That's really interesting. Is this 95% a proven number? I know from
experience that there are problems with Ad-Hoc mode with different
WLAN-Chipsets, but could not find a rule.
I'd say, way over 50% of the actual mobile computers have no problem
associating wit the Ad-Hoc network. And i know that certain chipsets
have no problems under linux which are not able to connect under windows.

That's why i started to create a list of supported devices under
http://sg.openwireless.ch/node/2909 (as I could not find such a list
anywhere else).
So if you say that 95% of the devices do not support this mode, I'm sure
you can provide some detailed examples. I'll be happy to put them into
the list.

> Wire two devices/routers and activate OLSR on the wired interfaces.
> One device in Mastermode, the other in mesh/ad-hoc-mode. Differ channels.

That's the best solution for this problem. But it doubles the price of
the hardware-setup, the energy consumption and so on.
How about devices, that support multi-SSID? Can they work in different
modes for the different Networks?

> Then be happy.
> Mastermode works nearly perfect on all devices on the market.

Yep... Or get drivers (and an OS) for your device that support
Ad-Hoc-Mode right and be happy.

Marco