[WLANware] old equipment/ router distro for old boxes

Bastian Bittorf bittorf at bluebottle.com
Wed Apr 16 20:17:59 CEST 2008

> Do any (many) of you use a 'router distro' for making old boxes routers?

I tried that with a pentiumI-200mhz box and 32mb RAM, old HD.
I have 5 PCMCIA-2-ISA-adapters and ~10 orinoco-11mbit cards.
Take a plain debian sid (unstable).
Install the wireless-stuff. (madwifi)
Install olsrd.
Ready.

> What exactly are the reasons for long dc runs as opposed to long ac runs?
> I thought it was for safety and to prevent electrocution.

IMHO the hw-price and the electricity-price.

> Any thoughts on what I can mount the old main boards to?

I used an pizza-cartonage.

bye, Bastian / weimar.freifunk.net