[WLANware] old equipment/ router distro for old boxes

dondavis at reglue.org dondavis at reglue.org
Wed Apr 16 15:14:13 CEST 2008

Do any (many) of you use a 'router distro' for making old boxes routers?
I know there are several out there.  I believe I would like to go that
route because I believe in the long run it will save time with hand
configuring kernels and iptables.  Otherwise, I'll probably just use an
older version of Debian.

What exactly are the reasons for long dc runs as opposed to long ac runs?
I thought it was for safety and to prevent electrocution.

Any thoughts on what I can mount the old main boards to?

Any thoughts on older wireless cards for laptops that should be
bought/looked for?  I feel if I buy a new prism card I might as well just
get a wrt for the money.  The broadcoms need ndiswrapper still or how well
is fwcutter working?  I probably won't find any older orinoco or atheros
cards, and my understanding is that ad-hoc is hit or miss with them.  (I
understand that this will be a matter of luck.)