[WLANware] Do your country's Telco Regs help or hinder community networks?

Gregers Petersen gregers at wireless-ownership.org
Mon Mar 19 08:38:00 CET 2007

Dan Flett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm Dan Flett, I'm the President of Melbourne Wireless, a community wireless
> group in Australia. Like most of you, we aim to create a non-profit
> city-wide network. I'm guessing almost all of you are creating your network
> to distribute Internet access to your members and/or the general community.

There are numerous ways of "ignoring" this problem - and I think it's
not as much a question of 'distributing internet access' as a question
about inspiring people to join in building a network.

Freifunk is one such way - Guifi.net in Catalonia is another alternative
- but both aim at ensuring a decentral perspective. Both examples rely
on people voluntarily adding/feeding the community-net with
internet-access (not the building of yet another ISP).

Chz

--
Gregers Petersen, Anthropologist
gregers at wireless-ownership.org