[WLANware] ff-meraki-pack?

Sven-Ola Tuecke mail2news at commando.de
Wed Apr 25 16:17:19 CEST 2007

Hello Dan,

because the (old) bcm firmware will stay alive, I thinks it's best to keep
the Freifunk "face". The Kamikaze technical approach has it's advantages,
but the current FF has some specifics too. Also I do not want to jump into
the gap between (X|Free|Open)Wrt ;-)

Hopefully, the meraki folks find their way back into the kamikaze/target
directory. Otherwise someone has to do the job of backporting necessary
changes back into OpenWrt. And yes - the Kamikaze firmware builder is
preferred.

I'm currently experimenting a bit with the UML version of Kamikaze to speed
up development. Obviously UML needs some repairs due to hotplug2... The
nerve recking little Atheros-SoC with this damn slow serial flash is too
slow to develop, UML may help.

// Sven-Ola

""Dan Flett"" <conhoolio at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:BAY141-DAV13A8BE676092E5B684109DAF490 at phx.gbl...
Hi Sven,

I think releasing Freifunk Firmware as packages is a great idea.  It'll make
things easier for you too. :)

I would be nice if we could see a stable release of Kamikaze soon though.
It's hard to work with a moving target!

The Meraki Firmware is forked from OpenWRT but is a little bit different.
It uses a /storage directory as it's jffs2 writable partition.  I hope a lot
of the packages you are doing for the Fonera will work on the Meraki without
modification.  Although with a Meraki we don't need the Fon stuff, we just
want the OLSR stuff.

With a package-based Freifunk Firmware, will you use the Freifunk Webadmin,
or use X-WRT's webif^2?  There are some guys working with X-WRT who are
"backporting" the freifunk webadmin into a webif^2 OLSR interface - maybe
they need some help from the Master. ;)

I like the idea that with Kamikaze, I could create a Freifunk Live-CD and
run it on my laptop, or in a VMWare window. :)

Cheers,

Dan