[WLANware] ff-meraki-pack?

Sven-Ola Tuecke mail2news at commando.de
Sun Apr 22 16:29:49 CEST 2007

Hi Dan,

catching up with the ever evolving/changeing hardware front with monolitic
one-upload-does-it-all firmwares will be too much work. Just if you're ready
with one, another interesting thing will pop out of the supermarket. The
fonera stuff costs me by far to much time - and I'm due upgrading the
standard bcom-freifunk-firmware...

For this reason, I am willing to maintain the broadcom firmware as it
exists. This will stay on kerel 2.4 and will run on those things we already
have on the roofs. This includes devices with 2Mb Flash + 8Mb RAM.

The fonera pack is a special. I used it to learn for the next wave. Which
will simply consist of an ipkg to be installed on top of a standard OpenWrt.
No more (other) monolitic firmwares from my side. Installing an ipk will
require medium skills and will also adress the needs of the more nerdy
audience. Even the most eleet are lazy - and so normally their from-scratch
mesh installations typically suffers from missing services / misconfigured
stuff. In other words: they install + maintain what they need and do not
think too much for others. Doing only ip transport is not enough in my
opinon. An ipkg will help, but will leave enough room for lots of
customizations.

// Sven-Ola

""Dan Flett"" <conhoolio at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:BAY141-DAV25306636C877BDE5345BAAF540 at phx.gbl...
It depends on the situation and the people who are doing the installing.  I
want to let end-users do the installation.  So I want them to have an easy
as an experience as possible - like just hitting "Upload" in the router's
"firmware upgrade" web interface..

attaching a serial cable - which isn't too hard for most of us but too
difficult for some.  Or you need to monkey around with ip addresses and try
to catch the short Redboot Telnet window to get in via telnet.  not for the
non-hacker.

If you are going to install them yourself, then get a serial cable, and
installing 20 won't be too hard.  But it might be too difficult for an
end-user to install.

Dan