[WLANware] good news everyone

Jens Nachtigall nachtigall at web.de
Sat Aug 5 22:54:28 CEST 2006

Am Samstag, 5. August 2006 21:36 schrieb John Clark:

> >> http://www.wlan-skynet.de/docs/richtfunk/diversity_mode.shtml (german)
> >
> > Thanks, nice description. But this means, to make use of this feature you
> > would need to have one (high gain) antenna dedicated to RX and one low
> > gain antenna to TX. As far as I know this is not the case in most mesh
> > networks, where you simply have one antenna.
>
> It depends on the hardware used. If the hardware has two antenna
> connections, then in the case
> of madwifi, (I've not tried this at home...), one can select the receive
> antenna and the transmit separately.

sure, but assume that you have 2 antenna connections (as with the linksys
wrt54g that aaron mentioned), then you still need 2 extra antennas
(expensive!) -- one you can dedicate to the, say the left antenna for RX and
one for, say the right antenna for TX,  because the ones linksys delievers
are low gain. I would be interested if this is done in Vienna, because, even
though this sounds to be a nice setup for directional (long) links, it is not
the setup for a mesh imho.

I am just not sure if I really understood it -- please correct me if I'm
wrong.

kind regards,

jens