[WLANware] good news everyone

John Clark jclark at metricsystems.com
Sat Aug 5 21:36:46 CEST 2006

Jens Nachtigall schrieb:
>>> But one question, I somewhat understood what antenna diversity is about
>>> (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_Diversity). Do you have any link
>>> explaining rx/tx antenna separation? do you mean that there is one
>>> antenna (statically?) dedicated to rx (receiving) and one to tx
>>> (transmitting)? at the same time?
>>>
>> http://www.wlan-skynet.de/docs/richtfunk/diversity_mode.shtml (german)
>>

> Thanks, nice description. But this means, to make use of this feature you
> would need to have one (high gain) antenna dedicated to RX and one low gain
> antenna to TX. As far as I know this is not the case in most mesh networks,
> where you simply have one antenna.

It depends on the hardware used. If the hardware has two antenna
connections, then in the case
of madwifi, (I've not tried this at home...), one can select the receive
antenna and the transmit separately.

On the other hand, most PCMCIA/PCI cards may have only one antenna, and
so one can't do this.
Most of the mini-PCI cards I have used have had two antennas on them,
so, its a matter of bringing the
cabling out of the box.

John Clark