[WLANnews] Fwd: [liberationtech] Rural Mesh Network Design Using MPs and NS2s

Hirschgott hirschgott at unkonstruktiv.de
Do Aug 1 20:45:03 CEST 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [liberationtech] Rural Mesh Network Design Using MPs and NS2s
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:50:22 -0700
To: Liberation Technologies <liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu>
CC: matt.bowman at ewb-uk.org

From:  <matt.bowman at ewb-uk.org>

Later this year I will be  travelling to Nepal to implement a mesh
network and I am hoping that you might be able to give me a helping
hand.

My network will provide 14 schools with internet access and VOIP. I
intend to use 3 NS2's for the basestation with a single MP or NS2
mounted at each school. The 14 schools will act in a mesh. Connected
via Ethernet to each school node will be a further MP acting on an
independent channel. This MP will feed a local computer via Ethernet
and will also provide a local wifi hot spot for users in the school.

Each school is a central hub for the community and I hope that
eventually they will expand the network by adding further MPs to form
a local mesh neighbourhood around each school. RadioMobile indicates
my links are feasible and all seems well. Except I'm confused with
some basics:

- MPs come with SECN 1.1 installed. What SECN version should I
therefore install on the NS2's? Doesn't appear to be an equivalent in
download.villagetelco.org
- I want to implement a server to visualise the network, provide user
accounts and billing - which server package is best for this? Is the
VT Server now excluded because I am using SECN?
- Finally, the latest Ubuntu version is 12.94LTS or 13.04. Should I
definitely use 10.04 as advised in the wiki pages?

I hope I'm not repeating covered ground, any help much appreciated.

Matt