[WLANware] GSOC 2017 - OpenWifi a OpenWRT/LEDE configuration management

Johannes Wegener freifunk at johanneswegener.de
Sat May 13 18:19:41 CEST 2017

Hello Everyone,
I'm Johannes Wegener and I'll work on OpenWifi this summer of code.
First some small bits about myself: I'm 27 years old and study computer
engineering at TU Berlin.

The project I'm working is about configuration management of multiple
OpenWRT/LEDE Nodes. It is able to detect new nodes and make changes
different parts of the configuration. There is a proof of concept
version (see [1], [2] and [3]).

I'll plan to clean up the code, add user management and improve the
PlugIn capabilities. I want to make the communication with the device
and the server more general (so that also other things than just routers
could be configured as well for example) - so it would also be awesome
to work together with Arun Kumar and use the NetJSON implementation.

More on all of this in my blog post which I'm going to write next week.

I would like to give my weekly update around Saturday/Sunday if that is
okay with you?

So I'll just put it in this E-Mail as well.

What I've done last week:
* setup a test server on an apu board
* work on server side encryption (https) and update notification scriptss
* work on server side client verification via client side ceritficates
(via an https header)

What I plan to do next week:
* work on client side encryption (setup images that generate
certificates for uhttpd and update server code to user https to communicate)
* while working on this thinking about an abstraction of client-server
communication (basically a plugin interface)
* write the blog post and update timeline

During the next two weeks I also like to prepare a little demo for WCW 2017.

best regards,
Johannes Wegener

[1] https://github.com/berlin-open-wireless-lab/OpenWifiCore
[2] https://github.com/berlin-open-wireless-lab/OpenWifiWeb