[WLANware] [GSoC2014] Nodewatcher: Render network topology graphs in browser (client-side)

Silvia Stegaru silvia.stegaru at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 11:00:27 CET 2014

Hello,

My name is Silvia Stegaru and I am a PhD student at the University
Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania. I study Computer Science and I have 3
years of experience with Wireless Sensor Networks.

I have designed and implemented a Failure and Abnormal Behavior Detection
(FABD) module for multi-owner Wireless Sensor Networks, which included a
server and a client side (written in Java, as an OSGi service). This was
the subject of my Master's Thesis, and I have also integrated this work in
the TWISNet (Trustworthy Wireless Industrial Sensor NETworks) European FP7
project [1]. This project has ended last year.

In order to visualize the results of the FABD module, I have used the
Django framework to model the columns of interest from the database. I have
created templates depending on the logged user and I have used python to
get the data which I wanted to be shown by the templates.

Currently, I am investigating Quality of Experience metrics for Wireless
Sensor Networks where packet routing has to minimize the emissions of the
system. This work is for the LEXNET (Low EMF Exposure Networks) European
FP7 project [2]. This project is ongoing, but I only work 40 hours per
month (so I have a lot of free time).

If you want to know more about my professional experience, please visit my
LinkedIn page [3].

I am interested in the Google Summer of Code "Nodewatcher: Render network
topology graphs in browser (client-side)" idea, I think it fits very well
my profile.

Moreover, this semester I started a project together with 3 friends: we
wanted to use Google Maps to highlight regions of interest for a user; the
user could then search in those regions information such as apartments for
sale/rent. You can see a screenshot of the result at link [4]. I have
worked mainly on the server side (Django, MySQL database), but I have also
helped write the AJAX calls for the search. I think it is very similar to
what you need for this project.

I have several ideas that could complement this one, but I need some
feedback to see which ones would be more useful from your point of view. I
think the following would be good as further work:

1. Generating useful statistics. For instance, in today's world there is a
high need for monitoring the EMF with regard to the Specific Absorption
Rate (SAR). This interface would allow us to select a particular area and
determine its overall exposure. This is important when we want to minimize
the exposure rates (i.e. by creating multi-owner meshes and disabling
certain nodes which are not needed any more). This could also improve
routing (if low-EMF is an optimization criteria).

2. Creating a map of the EMF exposure, as an overlay to the existing map
(i.e. where red would mean 'very exposed' and green would be 'no exposure').

3. Some algorithms could be applied to show the available routes from one
station to another, in terms of: lowest cost, lowest emission, lowest load
etc. This would also enable us to selct different stations and receive a
response if a station is reachable within the network or not.

4. Extending the model presented above to accept routing in multi-owner
networks (where one node has multiple owners, each with their own sensors
on the node).

5. It would be nice to also extend this model to handle reward-based
routing for the WSNs which implement this. The total amount of "money"
owned by a station would be available directly from the browser; routes
which are the most profitable could be highlighted etc.

I am open to discussing each of the above, as well as detailing more about
my programming experience and other projects that I have worked on. Please
tell me if I am focusing on the right direction for this project, or if you
had something else in mind.

Best regards,
Silvia

[1] http://twisnet.eu/