[WLANware] DHCP servers and Subnets in Wireless Mesh Networks [Mesh Architecture]

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 6 05:46:16 CET 2012

On Tuesday, November 06, 2012 08:00:37 Juergen Neumann wrote:
> > I understand that mesh nodes are all layer 3 routers. Generally, in a
> > wired network, we have one single DHCP server for the whole network and
> > DHCP relay agents at various routers down the heirarchy.
>
> That does not sound like a distributed network, but rather like a top
> down aproach. If you want a centralized service like a single DHCP
> server, you should focus on batman-advanced. This is a layer 2 aproach
> which is ideal for such an infrastructure.

Small correction: batman-adv does not require a single DHCP server in your
mesh network. It is very possible to run multiple DHCP servers in parallel
(one per DSL line for example) because batman-adv slightly modifies the
standard DHCP behavior to make this possible[1].

Cheers,
Marek

[1] http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Gateways