[WLANware] DHCP servers and Subnets in Wireless Mesh Networks [Mesh Architecture]

Naman Muley naman.g.muley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:30:53 CET 2012

Hi,

I am Naman Muley. I am involved with building a wireless community mesh
network in India. I wanted to understand the options for deploying DHCP
servers in wireless mesh networks. I wanted your opinions as the freifunk
community is highly active and experienced with mesh deployments.

I understand that mesh nodes are all layer 3 routers. Generally, in a wired
network, we have one single DHCP server for the whole network and DHCP
relay agents at various routers down the heirarchy.

1. Should a wireless mesh network big enough to cover a campus (for
starters) have one huge subnet or multiple subnets

2. A central DHCP vs multiple DHCP's assigning addresses from different
subnets?

3. If we do have multiple subnets, how is the mobility affected? I mean,
because once you get an IP address from a subnet, you get a default gateway
in that subnet also. Once you move out of the range of that subnet's
router(s), how do hosts maintain connectivity?

4. In case we use IP handoff for the above problems, I'd be very greateful
if you could point me to the implementations for the same.

5. How do you do it in Freifunk? If you have some ip registry links or
architecture links, I'd really really appreciate it!

Thank you so much for all the efforts! I appreciate any help from the
community!

sincerely,
Naman