[WLANware] Community Wireless Networks

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 09:09:01 CEST 2012

Hi!

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Naman Muley <naman.g.muley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was looking for the IP allocation scheme. Thank you! The problem with
> AHCPd is, it is not implemented for windows.

Why it this s problem? You run AHCPd on nodes, not on client
computers. You use AHCPd to auto-configure nodes, not to delegate IPs
to client computers connecting to your mesh network.

> I have to come up with an IP allocation scheme. MIT's Roofnet Project had a
> scheme in which they used the last 3 bytes of the MAC address to complete
> the IP address as : 10.x.x.x.

The problem with this is that you probably do not want to use whole
10/8, especially if you want to peer with some other mesh networks.
You should allocate as little as possible. And one way is to have an
IP registry. Or use IPv6. Do not try to do some auto-allocation in
IPv4 because birthday paradox will bite you and you will have IP
conflicts.

Mitar