[WLANware] WLANware Digest, Vol 69, Issue 2

Lolitha Ratnayake lolitha88 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:57:09 CEST 2012

Hey Naman and all,

First of all thank you very much! Apologies for late reply. Couldn't come
only for two days.

okay. vov!! calm down. Nothing can happen without an IP address. Which is
> exactly why python ain't letting you do it. Each computer in a LAN has an
> address. Even if there exists only 1 network in the world, we'll still need
> an address to call each computer by. If you're in a multicast group, that
> group still has an address. ( class D for ipv4 ).
>
> Thanks for info. I knew about classes but never knew about multi-casting
group specifically.

> Simple question: Say we both are in this network of yours. lets say I have
> a song that you want. How are you going to contact me if I don't have an IP
> address?

Well theoretically what my professor said is IP addressing is done in
'networking layer' in OSI model. It is used for only communicating among
other networks. Thats why using IP address for masking so routing can be
managed easy. Otherwise each router may have to include large MAC address
table in each of them. But I'm working in a small LAN so I thought it's
better. (Is it true?)

> also, why do you want to reduce the header size?

For improving data transfer rate. Not only it makes more data can be
transferred but also reduce the processing (decoding). (Yeah I know its not
that much effective)

> Umm.. I haven't done a lot of wireless programming. so sorry can't help
> you with this right now. I'm sure zioproto and others are well versed!

I have Zioproto in my g+. Hope others may be interested to comment on this
mail too. :-)

Thanks again for everyone. Waiting for more guidance.
Yours faithfully,
--
*Lolitha Ratnayake
Department of Statistics and Computer Science