[WLANware] Wireless socket programming help

Lolitha Ratnayake lolitha88 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 08:38:52 CEST 2012

Dear all,
I'm not a GSoC student. I thought to develop wireless filesharing protocol
like 'Air Drop'. I posted this on GSoC as project proposal. But haven't got
selected. However I thought to make it happen. I'm on theoretical reading
for months now. I have already looked at 'MeshApp' and also read about
'OSLR' protocol. I also do read about Collision avoidance in wireless. I
also read about python socket programming 'PyNet'.I also know C but haven't
done socket programming in C but I can manage it if it is necessary.

What I want to do is this. Share the files in a local area network based on
wireless. Nodes must be auto detected (have and idea of using
multicasting). I want to reduce header size so want to get rid of Network
layer in my own protocol stack. I see no point of using IP adressing if I
don't want to transmit data over other networks. I also want to use
different channels of wifi and may want to control the signal strength of
transmitting and receiving.

But as according to PyNet documentation, I can't do this. I have to use IP
address in order to bind a socket. Also I cant monitor/change packet
headers. What python does is just put data into OS buffer.

One might say I should use blue-tooth instead. But I want to do it in wifi
due to more control in signal strength and wide range of devices and
applications.

Can you please help me/ guide me on what to do/read ? Can I do this? I want
to code in ease as socket programming. But if needed willing to go deeper.
I'm making this system for linux at first. Also I want to make this under
GPL so I don't want to include commercial propriety libraries like bonjour.

Thank you in advance.

Yours faithfully,
--
*Lolitha Ratnayake
Department of Statistics and Computer Science