[WLANware] hello and basic question about multi hop bandwidth loss

Naman Muley naman.g.muley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:14:33 CEST 2012

Hi Randall,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Randall <randall at songshu.org> wrote:

> dear all,
>
> Trust me, I am thankful you're writing in English. I'm in India :)

> first of all apologies for addressing this list in English since my
> writing skills in German are not good enough, reading is no problem though
> so any reply is much appreciated

I myself am not very experienced. Yet, I'll try to answer your query.
Please correct me if you feel there's something fishy in my answer.

> i'm trying to set up a new network based on the freifunk firmware in
> rotterdam, the netherlands and at the moment researching the options and
> possibilities.
>
> i have a lot of questions ;) but will start with one.
>
> as to my understanding the bandwidth drops to 10% after several hops, does
> this also apply if you connect them with an ethernet cable?
>
> No. Wireless networks face a lot of losses because of environmental
factors. Ethernet cables carry signals over electricity. The bandwidth here
depends on the bandwidth that the cable gives. More importantly, the
clocking / speed that your service provider sets. (you may not get as much
as its written in reality)

> lets say you have a single street, where 0 is a freifunk node and +0 is a
> freifunk node with internet access.
>
> what i think usually will happen is as follows:
>
> +0      0      0      0
> 100% 70% 40% 10%
>

> but..... my thought/question, can you prevent the bandwith loss if you
> connect the nodes as follows with a cable
>

> +0-----0------0-------0
> 100% 100% 100% 100%
>

> this eventually would create a backbone that is not troubled by the
> wireless overhead that other nodes not connected by cable could connect to
> as well
>
>  0         0        0      0
> 70%     70%   70% 70%
>
> +0-----0------0-------0
> 100% 100% 100% 100%
>
>  0         0        0      0
> 70%     70%   70% 70%
>

> thanks for your time,
>
> Randall
>

> your proposal is essentially correct. The ideas that you have are correct.
Except, the reason we have wireless networks is to avoid cable.

Its true that a backbone network can be formed. Essentially that is what
happens in real life. The wireless link is generally the last link in the
connection. Now, what kind of architecture you follow for your mesh network
is upto you. Afaik you could implement this architecture for your network.
The question is, can you obtain such hardware? The wired links that you are
talking about will have to be connected over kilometers.

Hope I've induced a few ideas that will answer your query.

Best,
Naman