[WLANware] hello and basic question about multi hop bandwidth loss

Randall randall at songshu.org
Thu Apr 26 15:00:20 CEST 2012

dear all,

first of all apologies for addressing this list in English since my
writing skills in German are not good enough, reading is no problem
though so any reply is much appreciated

i'm trying to set up a new network based on the freifunk firmware in
rotterdam, the netherlands and at the moment researching the options and
possibilities.

i have a lot of questions ;) but will start with one.

as to my understanding the bandwidth drops to 10% after several hops,
does this also apply if you connect them with an ethernet cable?

lets say you have a single street, where 0 is a freifunk node and +0 is
a freifunk node with internet access.

what i think usually will happen is as follows:

+0      0      0      0
100% 70% 40% 10%

but..... my thought/question, can you prevent the bandwith loss if you
connect the nodes as follows with a cable

+0-----0------0-------0
100% 100% 100% 100%

this eventually would create a backbone that is not troubled by the
wireless overhead that other nodes not connected by cable could connect
to as well

  0         0        0      0
70%     70%   70% 70%

100% 100% 100% 100%