[WLANware] GSoC 2011 - Active and Passive Measurements

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:27:49 CEST 2011

Hi!

2011/3/29 Michael Bredel <michael.bredel at ikt.uni-hannover.de>:
> a colleague and I are very interested in joining your project for the
> GSoC this year.

I hope you understand that you should apply individually. And that it
is not necessary that both of you (or any) is accepted.

> We adapted the Bootloader (U-Boot) of the platform
> and ported some software such as Rude/Crude, Cfengine2, and SystemTap
> to run under OpenWrt according to our needs.

I hope you have pushed this improvements upstream?

> In addition, we can provide a method for passive available bandwidth
> estimation out of packet traces, that, today, only works offline.
> However, it will be beneficial to integrate such a method for online
> monitoring which can be done using the OpenIMP framework.

This would also be interesting for integration into routing protocols. ;-)

> So, what do you people think about these proposals? Do you have any
> comments, suggestions, further ideas? We would be very glad to get
> some feedback. Furthermore, it would be great to get in touch with the
> mentor of this project to further discuss our ideas, the project
> schedule, possible deliverables, etc.

I think they are valid ideas and proposals. I like them and would like
to have them. I am just not sure I myself could mentor you this year.
I have too many other things this year.

How much experience you have with mesh networks? Routing protocols
used in them? Problems they might have? Because at the end we would
like from all this data measuring performance of our networks to know
how to improve our networks and also routing in there. I am not asking
this because I would think you must have knowledge or experience with
this but that this might be a good thing also to research a bit.

I think it would be useful for you to ask also on Battlemesh mailing
list. We gather on those events exactly to test performance of our
networks. There is also much data already available, some scripts,
tests and so on. You could check them, analyze them in advance, so
that you would understand maybe things better. Definitely get in touch
with people on the list and ask them for suggestions or/and ideas what
exactly in their opinion should be worth testing. Maybe also prepare
together tools for next battle mesh. So that you will be able to test
on real testbeds all this you would develop.

http://battlemesh.org/

(I have no idea where this data is hiding on the page. Ask on the
mailing list or check its archive.)

Mitar