[WLANware] SNMP plugin for OSLR - GSoC 2011

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:41:45 CET 2011

Hi!

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM, ambarisha b <b.ambarisha at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am concerned whether the stack and the tcpdump library are
> cross-platform because I read that uIP has been "ported" to
> windows.That made me think what if we were running a platform it
> wasn't ported to , then the flasher wouldn't work on it. Further , as
> far as my knowledge goes ,we need to have Winpcap for windows like
> libpcap.

uIP does not need to be ported to any platform, because we will port
it to "libpcap" platform. This will be the platform (network
interface) from its point of view. libpcap is suppoorted on many
UNIX-based systems (including Mac OS X) and also Windows. So we are
covering majority of platforms in this way. winpcap is compatibile
with libpcap. This is not a big problem.

So at program run we will ask user for permission to run as an
administrator. And check for pcap. If not installed will prompt to
install it. And this is it.

> So, how would this work?Do we try to find the firmware image or
> download it from somewhere in the background?

I was just commenting on "Network interface information". This should
be done automatically. Because mostly it is fixed for every router
type (what is expected network configuration of flasher). This is also
the reason why we want to use our own TCP/IP stack, so that it is not
necessary to configure/change network configuration of OS, but we can
just use any network configuration we want.

> Further I have got the uIP stack source to familiarize myself with
> it.I have some experience with libpcap , so that is going to help.I
> have noted that point about the GUI and will drop the visual mockups,
> this will help concentrate more on the internal working .Where do you
> suggest my further studies should lie ? What would be my next step?
> Thanks again for the quick and informative response.

OK. If you really want to pursue this than I would recommend that you
start by looking at this code:

http://dev.wlan-si.net/browser/imageflasher

You should make it compile and run. You should familiarize yourself
with cmake. So to compile you need Qt, obviously, and then run:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../

Or something like this. ;-)

This should show you how we imagined GUI. So flashing steps will be
defined as a graph moving from one node to another, in the case of GUI
each node will have its window.

Then there was my initial work uipcap library. This is the idea of
having a stand-alone TCP/IP library over libpcap. Cross-platform. So
that from then one you can ignore platforms. Check it out. Currently
it does not do much. It tries to find information about all network
interfaces in cross-platform manner. And it tries to compile against
libpcap or winpcap and so on. So that we know that initial things
work. And then we would start real interaction with uIP.

Mitar