[WLANware] 802.11n hardware recommendations

Dennis Bartsch dennis_bartsch at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:10:07 CET 2010

Hello Mike,

> From: mikeofmanchester at gmail.com
[...]
> I'm looking to try and establish a new Freifunk 802.11n network using
> both 2.4GHz and 5GHz and was considering the Linksys wrt610n.  As far
> as I can see OpenWRT should run fine on it:

maybe openwrt run fine on it regarding basic functionality. but broadcom
(the manufacturer producing all the essential chips in this device) follows
quite open-source / free-software unfriendly information policy. at least in
the past. thats why not so many people are fond of hacking these drivers.
But there are also technical reasons agains this chipset-platform and the
wrt610n in special: the cpu is clocked rather slow (300MHz), the antennas
are all build in and thus not detachable/replacable (something you most
probably want to have when going outdoor) and finally there is simply a
better platform: Atheros AR9130x WiSoC or AR71xx CPU mit discrete radio
interfaces. why?:
- it is faster: 400MHz-680MHz CPU clock (depending on the device)
- the ath9k driver for the radio develops very quickly and freifunk near
persons are having a close look on meshing performance in future (after
basic functionality works to satisfaction)
- it used in the top price/performance outdoor-devices from eg. ubiquiti

>[...]
> Anyone have any results with 802.11 dual band equipment?

see above

> Any indicative throughput?

with ath9k and at indoor scenario I got about 60MBit (2,4GHz) to 125Mbit
(5GHz). But ath9k is developing in terms of performance. But take into
account: in adhoc mode there is no support for 11n rates for the moment.
but this is to come. for now you have to stick with a/b/g rate set.

> I will be testing out a mesh of about 10 nodes
> all within relatively close range of each other.

will this close range be permanent or will it just be  a testing enviroment?

>  [...]
> Cheers,
>
> -Mike

Regars