[WLANware] GSoC 2010: Project IP/UDP encapsulation Kernel module

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 22:01:59 CEST 2010

Hi!

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM, ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto)
<zioproto at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, it will not. The idea is not to run OLSR over those tunnels.

But why not make it so that it is possible to do it if you want? So if
you do not want OLSR then you do not specify this interface in its
configuration.

We are using tap OpenVPN tunnels in wlan ljubljana network and they
really work great. We use just client-server and not client-client
connections so it is not like one big switch which would make a mess.
But just like one big omni antenna and all nodes connecting to it.

So why not do ethernet over UDP? We would then get IPv4 and IPv6 for
gratis. Overhead is really little but possibilities are incredible.
And if you will not want to use all this possibilities you will still
be able to use it just as a point-to-point tunnel.

So from our experience this is the best approach.

Mitar