[WLANware] GSoC 2010: Project IP/UDP encapsulation Kernel module

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 10:59:53 CEST 2010

Hi!

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM, marco bonola <marco.bonola at gmail.com> wrote:
> "One or more virtual interfaces can be export to user-space

>From that I thought you will be doing only point-to-point connections
and that you will have to make multiple virtual interfaces for each.

> What I mean with "Dynamic virtual interface" is a iface for which I can
> dinamically configure a set of different encapsulating/forwarding rules in a table.
> In this way if we have 50 peers we are communicating with (and thus 50
> different IP/UDP tunnels), we don't need 50 virtual ifaces.

Yes. There should be only one interface. But I do not understand what
you mean by forwarding rule? I would like to configure only
destination IPs and ports of all peers I would like to communicate
with and interface itself should handle to which peer it should send a
packet. Like switch is doing.

> will be provided by a generic NETLINK socket.

You will define new netlink protocol? Special for this virtual interface?

> Moreover, integration with standard configuration tools (e.g: ip, ifconfig)
> is possible."

In which sense? Virtual interface should be fully configurable with ip
and ifconfig from the point of view of virtualized interface. Or do
you think that also internal configuration (links to peers and such)
would be configured with those tools?

> Does this support your idea?

It seems so. This is really great! Just some scrambling added and it is perfect.

(I am sorry if I am using bad terminology.)

Mitar