[WLANware] WLANware Digest, Vol 46, Issue 9

jayapriya surendran priya7390 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 03:04:05 CEST 2010

hi,
 http://blog.freifunk.net/2009/multicast-olsr-mesh-networks-obamp-release-saverio-proto
i read this blog and i am not able to understand some
stuffs.(questions may be silly...but i am novice in this area and so
wanna get it clarified!!)
1.Some routers have an attached HNA network with some hosts.what is
HNA network actually?
2.ETX distance of nearest nodes are calculated.what is ETX distance?
3.nodes or tree links are deleted in soft state fashion.what is soft
state fashion?
also found the implementation in
http://gredler.at/hg/olsrd/rev/8e7887c1247f
i am trying to understand the working mechanism of the code.

so initially do we fix a core node for every multimedia stream in the
network(probably during mesh create...).so whenever a core node for
particular multimedia stream finds 1.IGMP poll message to request
information about membership in all groups.(because nodes won't have
exact record of group membership details..) or 2.response message to
the IGMP request(i guess only one host from each group responds to the
request message)..it'll send OBAMP alive message so that the node is
added to corresponding OBAMP tree..and whenever a new node is added,
core election algorithm is called and the node with lowest IP address
is selected as the new core..

>> 1.To implement OLSR in C
>
> No ! That is already implemented ! Look at www.olsr.org

ya i checked out that website.

>> 3.And simulation of this environment using ns2.
>
> There is no need for simulation on ns2. You can test the
> implementation emulating on Netkit (www.netkit.org) or you can test on
> real devices.

fine ok ...it's only from previous messages i came to know about the
difference between emulation and simulation.i checked out the netkit
website and i'll install all the three modules.

Priya.