[WLANware] mismatched ESSIDs

Stefan Braun sbraun at freesurf.ch
Tue Nov 25 11:20:48 CET 2008

Hello Jan, hello list.

Am Dienstag, den 18.11.2008, 21:19 +0200 schrieb Jan Groenewald:
> I have a freifunk 1.6.32 network, and recently noticed a node
> with a different ESSID I connected to, but with the correct
> BSSID. Strange thing is, everything works perfectly, even
> though this one node has a ESSID typo.
>
> This could actually be useful, but I am wondering, should
> it be working?

This is only AFAIK, so please correct me if something is wrong:

The WLAN Ad-Hoc cell works internal only with the BSSID. Every device
with the same BSSID (and channel of course) can talk to each other.

ESSID is used for integration into an existing or new Ad-Hoc cell. The
devices chose somehow a common BSSID. This algorithm has obviously some
problems in large Ad-Hoc networks (same ESSID, different BSSID; ->cell
splitting), so forcing the BSSID leads to rock-stable mesh connections.

But I don't know how other Ad-Hoc devices react in your scenario (like
notebooks in OLSR-DHCP function). If the user connects to the ESSID with
typo, then I'm not shure if they're all in the same Ad-Hoc cell.

> regards,
> Jan

Greetings,
Stefan Braun.