[WLANware] Some doubts on a small mesh network

João Luis joaoluisgm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:29:32 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

I've played with a linear 3 routers (wrt54g) running freifunk.

1) So I have running a kind of scenario like this:

           +-----------+
+-----------+                         +----------+
            | Mesh1 |                            | Mesh2
|                          | Mesh3 |
           +-----------+
+-----------+                         +----------+
            wlan x.x.1.1/16                   wlan
x.x.2.1/16                  wlan x.x.3.1/16
            lan   y.y.1.1/24                   lan
y.y.2.1/24                   lan   y.y.3.1/24

All clients have IP provided by DHCP. Mesh2 is defined as MPR. And OLSR
appears to show all informations correctly, as neighboorhood, hops, symetric
status, etc... Mesh1 does not see/access Mesh3 directly.

In a environment with walls make by blocks ( high path loss exponent) , some
times i have to put routes by hand by ip route... for example, at Mesh1 that
lan of Mesh3 has Mesh2 (wlan address) as gw, at Mesh2 that Mesh1's lan has
Mesh1 wlan addr as gw, etc...

In another environment, with walls like divisions without blocks, it is not
necessary.

Why does it occurs ??

2) I've tried, without success, change the lan's address to make a only /24
lan distributed on the routers... with each router providing one /26 of
address (mask /24) from that /24 lan... although the system works providing
the right addresses, the network does not run... even putting the related
routes  by hand.

Cant I may that anyway ??

3) In the web admin environment, at lan config there is a observation that
lan and wlan interfaces may have the same ip address. Until now, i cant use
it.

How do I get it ??

4) Intending make a meshbed where a client walk around without changing ip
address.  I am playing at this follow scenario:

           +-----------+
+-----------+                         +----------+
            | Mesh1 |                            | Mesh2
|                          | Mesh3 |
           +-----------+
+-----------+                         +----------+
            wlan x.x.1.1/16                   wlan
x.x.11.1/16                wlan x.x.111.1/16
            lan   x.x.1.2/24                   lan
x.x.11.2/24                 lan   x.x.111.2/24

  There is a DHCP server with address x.x.111.254/24 running connected to
Mesh3 lan, and providing addresses to clients perfectly.

  The problem is... even x.x.111.1 and x.x.111.2 be at same network, they
are at different interfaces e havent been routed between themselves. How can
I solve it ??

Thanks a lot for any support.

Best regards,

JL

PS: i hope my poor english may be understanding.