[WLANware] Antenna diversity + wave guide antennas; books; performance data

dondavis at reglue.org dondavis at reglue.org
Sat Apr 26 15:43:03 CEST 2008

I had thought of creating a mesh backbone using wrt's with wave guide
antennas.  The center (gateway) would have a large omni.

The thought was with the wrt true diversity antennas that one wave guide
antenna connected to the left antenna would be pointed at the source and
the right antenna would be pointed at the next node.  Or possibly one wave
guide pointed at the source and the other with an omni.

For antenna diversity is strictly the strongest signal source chosen or
the best for the connection?  (Question being: The waveguide pointed at
the omni (antenna a) will have the best signal strength but antenna b with
the waveguide (or omni) will have the best connection to node c.  Will the
diversity antenna setup try to use antenna a or b for communiucating with
node c?)

I've read "Mesh" by Elektra.  Are there other Mesh books that come
recommended?

Is there an easily referenced table or a graphic that shows the
correlation between gateway speed and node count?  (I understand a lot of
factors affect this, but I'm thinking of in an 'ideal' bandwidth sharing
scenario tempered with real world experience?)  For example at 3MB/sec,
10MB/sec, 25MB/sec down what sort of speed can I expect for 10, 20, 50,
100 nodes?